FUNDED STUDIO RESIDENCY
BACKLIT is pleased to invite applications for a funded studio residency for a twelve-month period beginning October 2019.
BACKLIT will work closely with the resident artist to develop activities that engage BACKLIT’s Studio members and our wider community. Plus, there will be opportunities to integrate with local practitioners and to produce and present new work.
The successful artist will have an active contemporary visual art or design practice and experience of working with people in a creative environment.
During the period of the residency, the successful candidate will join the BACKLIT community and will be expected to:
- – Work in their studio for at least two days per week
- – Attend quarterly studio meetings
- – Attend development opportunities generated by BACKLIT and partner organisations
- – Contribute to the Participation and Learning programme
Through the sponsored studio 12-month the selected artist will benefit from the following:
– 24-hour access
– Internet, heating and electricity (unless excessive usage)
– A profile on our website
– Access to any member-only opportunities including exhibitions and events
– Priority over non-members to workshops, talks and other critical sessions
– Being part of a diverse and exciting studio community –
– Opportunities to apply to BACKLIT artist events including projects, annual group show and participation programmes
– Access to regular development opportunities
– Access to regular workshops
– Access to one-to-ones with relevant members of staff in person or via Skype
BACKLIT is an artist-driven contemporary gallery and studios in Nottingham hosting an annual programme of events and exhibitions. BACKLIT is a lively community of over 80 practising artists occupying three storeys of a Victorian textile factory.
BACKLIT provides affordable studio spaces for contemporary artists, supporting early career graduates and emerging artists. In its exhibition role, BACKLIT provides a dynamic public programme of national and international artists including original artist commissions, screenings and live debates. Central to the BACKLIT ethos is its strong working relationships with regional universities and its partnerships with other galleries and creative organisations. It is also committed to supporting projects that promote community and local heritage.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 17th September.
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 25 September.
The Studio is available from the 2nd of October.